Adapted from: https://www.kitchenathoskins.com/2019/11/15/baked-fish-tacos-with-an-amazing-2-ingredient-fish-taco-sauce/, https://pinchofyum.com/spicy-fish-taco-bowls-with-cilantro-lime-slaw#tasty-recipes-41812, and https://www.cookingclassy.com/black-bean-tacos-with-avocado-cilantro-lime-crema/
Baked Panko-Crusted Fish
- 1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
- ¾ pound whitefish, cut into strips
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Creamy Cabbage Slaw
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 1–2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ cup sour cream, Greek yogurt, or mayo
- 3–4 cups shredded purple and/or green cabbage
- ½ medium avocado
- 1 Tbsp lime juice, or to taste
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, pressed through a garlic crusher
- small corn or flour tortillas
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- sliced jalapenos, banana peppers, or pickled peppers
- chopped cilantro, parsley, or other fresh herbs
- lime wedges
- Cotija cheese, queso fresco, or feta
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray, or lightly brush with a high-heat oil and set aside.
- Whisk egg, cornstarch and all spices (chili, cumin, garlic, black pepper, paprika and salt) in a shallow dish, until thoroughly combined; add fish and toss to coat on all sides.
- Transfer each piece of fish into the breadcrumbs, gently press it on so that the fish is coated on all sides.
- Place fish on the greased cookie sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining fish.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer cookie sheet to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the slaw: Pulse the slaw dressing ingredients (in order, starting with oil and ending with lime juice) until chopped/chunky. Add the sour cream/yogurt/mayo and pulse again until just combined (you don’t want it totally smooth green – just like an herb-loaded creamy sauce). Toss the sauce with the cabbage. Let it sit in the fridge while you prep the other ingredients.
- Make the crema: in a food processor pulse together avocado, Greek yogurt, cilantro, lime juice and garlic until cilantro is finely minced. Season with salt and pepper to taste (if you want the sauce thinner you can add in up to 1 Tbsp water).
- Assemble tacos by layering ingredients inside tortillas and topping with crema and other desired toppings.