- 1 cup (5 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 oz. spaghetti (try chickpea, black bean, or quinoa pasta for GF)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, finely grated, plus more for topping (or nutritional yeast for vegan)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (or Earth Balance / additional oil for vegan)
- ½ tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- For the roasted tomatoes: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil & sprinkle with salt and pepper, and mix together. Roast for 15 minutes, until the tomatoes are softened and wilted in appearance. Add garlic and roast for a few more minutes, or until just softened and fragrant.
- For the pasta: Meanwhile, boil salted water and cook pasta according to package directions, minus 1 minute to keep the pasta al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of pasta water – you will need this for your sauce.
- In a large skillet at medium-high heat, add the olive oil, butter (or Earth Balance), black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if you want), swirling the pan, until the butter is melted.
- Reduce the temperature to low heat and stir in a ¼ cup of pasta water before adding in the pasta and parmesan cheese. Using tongs, toss and stir the pasta until the cheese is melted and the pasta is well coated. Add a tablespoon of pasta water at a time to get to your desired saucy consistency.
- Gently toss in the roasted tomatoes and half of the chopped basil. Plate and sprinkle the remaining basil and additional parmesan cheese on top. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.