Adapted from: https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/grilled-honey-mustard-salmon/#bo-recipe
- 1 lg trout fillet (skin on)
- 2 tablespoons + ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika (smoked if available)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup dijon mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
AVOCADO BASIL SAUCE
- 1 avocado, halved
- ½ cup fresh basil, plus more for serving
- 1 jalapeño, halved and seeded (optional)
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Place the trout fillet in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Add the paprika, cumin, garlic, lemon zest, crushed red pepper flakes, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, rubbing the seasonings and oil evenly into flesh.
2. In a glass jar or bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, honey, cayenne, and a pinch of salt. Shake or whisk until smooth and creamy.
3. To make the avocado sauce: Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy, adding water – 1 tablespoon at a time as needed to thin the sauce. Season with salt & pepper as needed.
4. Heat your grill, grill pan, or skillet to medium-high heat. Place fish on grill, skin side down. Cover and cook until skin is lightly charred, 4-5 minutes, carefully flip and grill another 3-4 minutes until opaque. Remove the trout from the grill and drizzle with the honey mustard.
5. Toss together the tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and a pinch of salt.
6. To serve, spoon the tomatoes over the salmon and serve the avocado sauce alongside.