Adapted from: https://ashcuoco.com/turnip-greens-strata
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk or cream
- 1 cup crème fraiche, yogurt, or sour cream
- ¼ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 heaping cups sourdough or other crusty bread, cut into rough 1” cubes (about 1 small loaf)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large leeks, split, light green and white parts only, sliced into ½” pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups (16 ounces) kale (or other greens – spinach, chard, beet greens)
- 2 cups grated gruyere or other sharp cheese, plus more for serving
- 1 ½ cup grated parmesan, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, sliced thin, plus more for serving
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk/cream, crème fraiche/yogurt/sour cream and chicken/veggie stock. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Lightly grease a 4-quart oven-safe baking dish with olive oil. Add bread and pour egg mixture on top, stirring to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight, if preparing ahead of time.
- In a small bowl, cover leeks with cold water. Give them a few good shakes with your hands to release any grit and dirt. Let soak 10 minutes. Drain and rinse thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté with a wooden spoon until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and greens. Gently stir until wilted, about 2 minutes (it will seem like a lot of greens, but it will cook down—trust us!) Remove from heat and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Carefully fold the leeks, greens and cheeses into the soaked bread. Bake 30-45 minutes, until the corners of bread on top are crispy and brown and custard is firm. Serve family style topped with extra cheese and chives.