- 1 cup all-purpose flour (or GF blend)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk (or plant milk alternative)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter (or Earth Balance)
- 4 ripe peaches
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract mixed with 2 tsp water
- 4 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10-12 slices bacon
- sprigs of fresh thyme OR basil, (optional)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup heavy (35%) cream (dairy free options: make coconut whip or use Coco Whip for a quick option)
- 1/4 cup icing sugar, sifted
- Place the flour, baking powder, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, salt, and milk in a large bowl. Use a whisk to mix until combined.
- Pour ¼ tbsp. oil in a large skillet, then wipe around with a kitchen towel to cover the pan. Heat the pan on a medium heat until hot. Pour in enough mixture to make three pancakes (approx. ¼ cup of mix per pancake). Turn the pancakes over when bubbles form on top and then burst, and the edges start to look firm (about 1-2 minutes). Cook on the other side for another 1-2 minutes. Repeat with the rest of the mixture – oiling the pan each time – until all the pancakes are cooked (you can keep the pancakes warm in a very low oven whilst you’re making each batch).
- Whilst the pancakes are cooking, whip the cream: Place the cream in a large bowl and whisk until slightly thickened. Add in the icing sugar and whisk again until soft peaks form. Optional: Spoon into a piping bag with a large fluted nozzle and place in the fridge until ready to use. (Alternatively, simply place the bowl in the fridge)
- Next, heat up another frying pan (skillet) or a griddle on a high heat.
- Slice the peaches so you have 12 wedges from each peach. Brush with the vanilla-water mixture and sprinkle all over with the brown sugar.
- Place the peach wedges on the griddle and cook for a minute on each side until the sugar caramelizes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the bacon into the frying pan and cook until crisp. Remove from the heat.
- Now it’s time to assemble: Fold one of the pancakes into a taco shape and place on a large serving board/plate/tray. Prop up with a glass or cup on each side to keep it in the taco shape, then place another pancake next to the first in the same way (moving the supporting glass/cup so there’re now two tacos in between). Continue this way until all the pancake tacos are in place.
- Take the cream from the fridge and pipe/spoon into each pancake. Top with the peach and bacon slices, then top with a few fresh thyme or basil leaves (optional).
- Serve drizzled with maple syrup or honey