- 8 beets (with greens attached – greens will be used as base for salad, but you can also add in other greens or lettuce to mix it up)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- ¼ cup chopped yellow or red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 slices sourdough bread (or your favourite bread or cracker) toasted
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- Optional: microgreens, cracked black pepper, chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with foil. Spray it with a non-stick spray.
- Cut the greens off of the beetroots, and peel the beetroots with a vegetable peeler. Set the greens aside, and cut the beetroot into 1 inch pieces. Place the beets on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Roast the beets for 40-45 minutes or until fork tender.
- While the beets are roasting, prepare the greens. Cut the stems off and loosely chop the greens. Set aside. To a large saute pan, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook until tender and fragrant. Add the greens and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-6 minutes then remove from heat. Toss with the red wine vinegar and transfer the greens to a serving platter. Set aside.
- Once the beets have roasted, transfer them to a bowl and toss them with the orange juice. Layer the beets on top of the greens.
- Spread the goat cheese on each slice of bread. Place them alongside the beets and beet greens. Sprinkle with micro greens, cracked black pepper and chopped parsley and enjoy immediately!